No respite in sight for Covid-hit culture sector

No respite in sight for Covid-hit culture sector

Interior Ministry Alain Berset says it is not sure whether the financial support is sufficient for the culture sector in Switzerland hard hit by government restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

“Things are not getting easier for the culture sector which is confronted with a second wave of the pandemic,” said a statement published in the wake of meeting on Monday between Berset and representatives from about 20 different organisation.

Berset is also quoted as saying that he was aware of the “huge challenges” for artists and organisers in the current situation.

In September, parliament approved CHF130 million ($142 million) for next year to help soften the impact of the Covid crisis. The government also agreed to an aid package worth CHF280 million earlier this year.

In response to an increasing number of Covid infections over the past two months, the government imposed new restrictions, limiting the maximum number of people at public events to 50 at the end of October.

Some cantons introduced stricter measures, closing down threatres, cinemas and concert venues in an effort to halt the spread of the virus.

Vote November 29: Spotlight on ethical business practices
The global economy and Switzerland’s financial industry are at the centre of the ballot box decisions on November 29.

Many independent artists and event organisers say they are struggling to survive as most culture events have been cancelled or put off and other options are few and far between.

Tags: POLITICSHEALTHCULTURELATEST NEWS
Comments under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Read more

Spectactors at a football match sitting apart
Strict anti-Covid measures applied to Swiss mass events
This content was published on Sep 2, 2020Sep 2, 2020 The government has announced a series of conditions for the resumption of mass events in Switzerland to curb the spread of coronavirus infections.

Zuercher Theater Spektakel in Zurich
Covid-19: Swiss increasingly wary about museums and shows
This content was published on Sep 21, 2020Sep 21, 2020 Around one in three Swiss say they will not go to the cinema or a museum until the Covid-19 pandemic is completely over.

Jonas Lüscher
Swiss writer badly hit by coronavirus reflects on the crisis
This content was published on Aug 29, 2020Aug 29, 2020 Jonas Lüscher became gravely ill with Covid-19 and says he is angered by people who downplay the seriousness of the virus.

Many independent artists and event organisers say they are struggling to survive as most culture events have been cancelled or put off and other options are few and far between.